Alias as he appears in Gravity Rush
|Appears in||Gravity Rush|
Gravity Rush 2
|Voice actor||Go Shinomiya|
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains spoilers about part of Gravity Rush.
Alias is one of the secondary antagonists of Gravity Rush. He wears a round metal helmet with cloth around his head and a striped suit. Little is known about his history, although his primary goal is to acquire as many Sacred Gems around the towns of Hekseville for an unrevealed purpose.
Alias first appears when Syd enlists Kat's help to stop a sacred Gem from being stolen from the Master Criminal, Alias. After Syd's instructions to swap the real gem with a fake, Kat returns the real gem to the meeting place only to have Syd transform into Alias who vanishes with the Gem. The real Syd stumbles out of the bushes, dazed and confused about what transpired.
Alias reappears later with a plan to steal another sacred gem from the town of Endestria. Predicting this; Syd and the police force swapped the real Gem with another fake, putting the real one under heavy guard. Anticipating the trap, Alias tracked down the Gem's locations and knocked out all the Elite guards. Upon arriving at the scene Kat and Alias squared off, with Alias using the power of the crystal to combine with the Nevi. Alias was able to keep total control of the Nevi unlike other people who Kat had previously interacted with. Summoning clones of himself, Alias tried to distract Kat but was unable to replicate the Gem itself making the real Alias more apparent to Kat. As a result Alias transforms into a dragon like creature, which Kat dispatches with her special attack, separating Alias from the Nevi. Alias falls into a moving trash container and is crushed to death by a trash compactor.
After Kat returns from her one year disappearance she is awoken by multiple Dustys. Alias appears taunting the Gravity Queen. After Kat collects all the Dustys in the area and unlocking a new power, Alias reappears stating she has performed beyond his wildest expectations and removes his mask in front of her. Kat is seen to be shocked by the reveal, however the player does not get to see him. Waking up, she joking states that it could not be who she thinks it is, implying that Kat knows the identity of Alias.
Alias again reappears causing trouble around the town of Pleajeune. However, following Alias around the city, Kat realizes that something is not right with this Alias especially when the Nevi appear, causing Alias to panic. Tracking down Alias, Kat finds him surrounded by Nevi which Alias pleads for her to get rid of them. After saving him, Kat unmasks Alias. It is revealed that this Alias was in fact Kat's Number 1 Fan who put on the Alias disguise to get closer to Kat.
Alias' first interaction with Kat is through a Grigo which he directly controls during the time Kat was a fugitive in Hekseville. He tries to kelp the Gravity Queen via hacking other Grigos to avoid detection. While he says that Kat wouldn't possibly believe he's trying to help her, he never reveals his identity.
Later, during a fight with Kali, Raven and Cecie appear through a Dimensional Rift to help Kat, and Raven reveals that a man helped her return to Hekseville. While she, again, never reveals who this man was, it's clear it was Alias, judging from his powers later in the story.
After the fight with Kali, Chaz tells Kat that he heard a strange, mechanical voice while visiting Aki and Pandora, and that this voice told him to also go help Kat. She then tells him that it was the same voice that was coming out of the Grigo she met.
During Episode 20's credits, it's revealed that it was Alias who told Lisa how to guide the entirety of Jirga Para Lhao through a Rift and into Hekseville to rescue Cecie. Lisa then leaves Kat with a message he gave to her: "The monster in the city was a sign heralding the end of the world", referring to the Mutated Kali who was just defeated.
In the beginning of Episode 21, after a part of Auldnoir is engulfed in Darkness, Alias finally appears to Kat in person to give her yet another message: to be the light that dispels the Darkness that's coming to destroy the world, and that it would only come true if she went to the Top of the Pillar to search for her past. He apparently also told her that Syd would be waiting for her in the land above.
After Kat discovered that she was Queen Alua in the ancient realm of Eto and escaped the King's mind control in order to recover her memories as Hekseville's hero, she found Alias speaking to Xicero, Eto's chancellor. After hearing their conversation, Kat finds out Alias was one of Xicero's closest friends in Eto a century ago (the time of Alua's first reign), and that he was the only person who trusted the Queen before her disappearance. Xicero and Alias plan to get rid of King Cai for his questionable methods of governing, but he shortly appears with his Guardian Wolp, and in an attempt to save his friend, Alias puts himself in front of the beast, receiving the lethal blow, revealing that he was a machine all along.
In Episode 26, after Kat is almost defeated by the Destructive Force, Alias, finally revealing himself as none other than Syd, comes to her rescue by making the entire town of Vendecentre call out for her via singing "A Red Apple fell from the Sky" and using a special device to call out for Nevi reinforcements in order to attack the giant monster, and give Kat time to regain her composure.
One year after the Destructive Force's defeat, Syd is still seen wearing his Alias suit, now free of his Alter Ego, having no use for it now.
- His shirt has a serpentine mark, possibly making a reference of his personal Servants, which are two Nevi that closely resemble snakes.
- The device he's seen using to call forth the nevi during the final battle in Gravity Rush 2 is first seen in Gravity Rush, where Syd is trying to get it out of his pocket when Kat is frozen by Yunica, only to be interrupted by Cyanea, who tells him to avoid interfering with the Creator's dream.
- Although he's revealed to be a machine in Eto, it's possible it was indeed Syd who was behind Alias' mask at times, especially during Kat's dream, where he can actually take out his helmet to reveal his recognizable face, and not just wires as seen in Gravity Rush 2.
- His machine self (along with his true identity) is foreshadowed in and early Side Mission in Gravity Rush 2, where Syd tells Kat that he needs her to recover some things to complete an invention, which is revealed to be a mechanical hand to keep the children at Banga entertained. This hand closely resembles the one that Alias has, as seen when all of his parts are scattered after Wolp's attack.
- Fan theories about Syd being Alias' true identity surfaced as early as Episode 4: The Hekseville Phantom in the first game, most likely due to both characters never appearing on screen together at once.
- Kat's shock when Alias removes his mask in her dream also added to that theory, since her shock was towards a character she either knew or befriended.
- Assuming one has played both games, then returns to the first Gravity Rush, certain scenes will have a whole new meaning when players learn Alias' true identity.
Appearances in Gravity RushEdit
- Episode 4: The Hekseville Phantom
- Episode 9: Letting Old Ghost Die
- Episode 19: Falling to Pieces
- DLC Spy Mission 2: The Dreamlife of Ghosts
Appearances in Gravity Rush 2Edit
- Episode 13: Alone Again (Mentioned)
- Episode 17: Road to Lonely (Voice only as a Hacking Grigo)
- Episode 20: How to Say Goodbye (Cameo appearance in the pseudo-end credits)
- Episode 21: The End of the World
- Episode 22: Castle of Sand (A mechanic robot machine reveal)
- Episode 26: A Song Without Voice (Reveal as Syd)
- Episode 27: Black Cat (now as Syd)
- Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (DLC)
- LittleBigPlanet 2 (DLC)
- LittleBigPlanet Vita (DLC)
- LittleBigPlanet Karting (DLC)
- PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale (as minion, DLC)
|Main Characters||Kat· Raven · Dusty · Syd · Gade · Cyanea · Alias · Yunica|
|Minor Characters||Aujean · Eugie · Echo · Aki · Chaz · Bulbosa · Adreaux · Nushi · Melda · Nevi|